WEEK 15 - Elder Campbell Vs Rehab Center
Sometimes things just don't go as well as you would like. Like this week. Judas, this week was pretty tough. Lots of our friends don't want to meet anymore, it is getting cold here (like 50 degrees, but in my defense my body has adapted to the warmth), and for most of the week I felt like I was just a terrible missionary. Elder Campbell isn't really the guy to talk to if you're having a hard time, so for most of this week I have felt alone and I have just been missing you guys a lotttttt. But I realized something today as I was sitting in urgent care getting something checked out. If you choose to focus on the hard things in your life, your life will become harder. If you choose to focus and to be thankful about the happy things, your life will become happier. In my opinion, Thanksgiving is no time to celebrate the Mayflower or whatever the ship was called, it is a time to be thankful for what you have. This Thanksgiving I am grateful for YOU! I am so grateful for the impact all of you who receive this email have had on me. I am beyond grateful for those of you who reach out to me and keep me sane. Everytime I hear from one of you I spew gratitude from every pore of my being. I love you all and I am so grateful, and so this week I am going to do a better job focusing on that instead of the hard.
Although this week was pretty tough, funny stuff still happened, so here we go:
- We got our transfer news last Monday night. I knew Elder Campbell was going because he has been in this area for so long. Elder Campbell is the complete opposite of me, but we learned how to get along. He taught me so many lessons about how to work with people who are so different than me, and how to love people who you normally don't get along with, and I also now probably know enough about the game "league of legends" to go pro in it. He was a good man, but I felt it was time to get a new companion who I could learn some new lessons from. I was excited because there are only two other chinese missionaries that it could be, and apparently both of them like to talk. I was super excited to get a companion that liked to talk. That would've been dope, but plot twist: Elder Campbell is staying. No one in our zone could've called this, but he was hyped to hear the news. So I guess I will continue to have funny Elder Campbell stories in these emails. Pretty much every week I get some sort of funny response about him from one of you. Like from my aunt Kim who said "when my kids heard that he was leaving they were like noooooo" or from my boy Easton Lovell "Elder Campbell sounds like such a cutie patootie" or from my boy Danny Lucas who made some fan art from a quote he said, and there is so much more. When I first told him about all of these positive responses he was like "neat" and went back to reading the general handbook, but now the fame is starting to get to him. So hopefully I can control this man, but we will see.
- On Wednesday it was dope because we got to go to downtown Dallas to visit a bunch of inactive members. Dallas is out of our mission, but since we are chinese missionaries we can do pretty much whatever we want, so we got permission to go. It was super fun to see big buildings (I love big buildings oh my goodness) but like right outside the city is super sketch. Like the rehab center we went to. We got there and Elder Campbell was like "aw this is a wholesome retirement home" (he says the word wholesome about 450x a day right now and it is killing me) It was quite obviously not a retirement home, I was like Elder Campbell "this is a rehab center" and he was like "no you haven't seen the shows" I was like "what shows?" and I guess that was enough conversation for the day because he started walking in. He pointed out a cute couple outside to prove his point. What he did not realize is that this couple was like 35 years old and they were in the process of taking fentanyl or something. We walked in and there were no employees and I was like "hm" and we went to go visit the member.
- We got to the elevators and that is the moment I believe worry finally entered this wholesome man. People started like getting really close to us and asking us questions while they were mumbling, we finally got in the elevator and the same thing happened. When we got there we decided to just leave the note at this persons door, instead of entering the door that was wide open. It was so weird because we saw not one single employee the entire time, but anyways, we went down the elevator. And all of the people before had kids or something while we were upstairs, because there was like 8x more of them. they just cornered us and started asking us questions that made literally no sense. As we finally got out of that crowd a lady was like "I have seen you here before." Then she said some other mumbled stuff. It was pretty obvious that she thought we were employees, but Elder Campbell was puzzled by this comment. So he hit her with some random church organization facts, and how it was quite unlikely that missionaries were here. I was like actually scared and wanted to leave so badly, but Elder Campbell would rather suffer a horrible death then to let a opportunity to talk about church/missionary organization slip through his fingertips. If you want to get this man talking, may I recommend asking questions about league of legends or ask him about the difference between a zone and a district. You will have a long convo on your hands. Anyways the rest of the time was super fun, and I got some cool pics.
- Now for what actually matters: buffalo wild wings. Elder Campbell started to notice that he hasn't been fully committed to this healthy 20's thing recently (if you remember from a previous email) and he was really starting to notice the physical consequence this restaurant was starting to have on him. So he decided that this would be his final supper. I made a goal a little while ago to stop drinking soda, and Elder Campbell decided to stop as well like a week and a half ago. Idk why but I genuinely just felt evil, and decided to gaslight him into getting a mountain dew. I was like "Elder Campbell what is one mountain dew gonna do?" honestly I have no idea where this darkness came from, but I was enjoying it. So he got a mountain dew, and as soon as he had a couple of sips he regretted it. I kinda feel bad but the when the waiter came around he was like "is there anything I can help you with?" and I was like "ya, he'll have another mountain dew" the guy looked at Elder Campbell hoping for like a nod of approval or something, and he was just speechless. I guess he was confused on why I did this (honestly I was to) so he just went along with it. I did this another 2 times, and I promise I am not a bad person, it was just so funny to me. He finished his wing challenge and it was super cool. Nothing was more gratifying then watching that man clean his final Nashville Hot wing. I am proud of my man. But when the check came he was like "hey, if you get me another mountain dew I literally will not drink it." He doesn't really get mad, and this is the most mad I have seen him. But I explained the situation and he agreed it was funny. I was just genuinely feeling evil and I don't know why. So apparently he is pretty serious about this new health thing, because we had permission to go shopping that Thursday after bdubs. He decided to go all out and spend like $150 on groceries. My man bought bodybuilding protein powder, chicken breast, vitamin supplements, and tons of veggies. So don't be surprised to see my boy win Mr. Olympia one of these days. I love him though, and am super excited for this next transfer so hopefully it is awesome.
- I just reread this email and it is literally all about Elder Campbell, so hopefully his die hard fans enjoyed this one. I genuinely did not have that many positive stories to talk about this week, so I am sorry, next week will be more uplifting.
- I AM SO EXCITED TO TALK THIS PDAY. I have been waiting for this day all week, I love pday, because I love you all. So if you have time please update me i'd love to hear from you, because I love you so much! I hope you all have the most incredible week ever, can't wait to hear from you!
Pictures:
1. Sometimes Elder Campbell will take pictures of me mid convo
2. Fire
3. Jumping over two sister missionaries mid picture
4. I handstand now
5. My dearest Chu Yang in his apartment complex
6. Gambling
7. Dallas







Comments
Post a Comment