WEEK 35 - Plagiarism

If you're a missionary that is reading this it is nearly impossible that you like your mission more than I do. The funny thing is that I arguably liked it the least out of all of us at the beginning, and now I 100% like it the most out of all of you, wow. But GOODNESS ME this week was incredibly miracle filled. I wish I could share every little detail of everything that happened this week, but nobody would like that other than mother and father (and possibly Elder Campbell idk). I could share literally a plethora of spiritual thoughts for this week, but the one I want to share for this email is about the hope that this beautiful gospel brings. So Peter Chen’s wife died this last week (very sad) and so me and Elder Campbell got to go back to go to a memorial for her. We pulled up and it was super nice to see the Chinese branch again (although they were absolutely savage at this event about a few physical flaws I apparently developed while I was gone) but it was so fun to see so many old faces. Peter Chen greeted me with a massive hug crying, and just explaining to me how much he misses his wife. It was super sad and reminded me how I have experienced a lot of death in my life and every single time I have lost someone I have loved it truly tore me apart. I loved Peter and his wife, but this time something was different. Every single time someone in my life has died I really didn’t have a testimony of our Savior Jesus Christ. I loved the idea that the people I loved will live again, but I just wasn’t sure. I know now. I know that Alice Chen lives and I know she is in the arms of our Savior now, and that she is happier. This time it really wasn’t that sad, but instead it was more of a hopeful event. People will say “ah well I heard Joseph Smith did this one thing this one time, so therefore your church is false” or “well one of your church leaders said this one thing so your brainwashed” but they will never be able to deny the hope that the gospel brings. I am so happy Peter and his wife got baptized 5 years ago, and they got sealed together for eternity 3 years ago. I have so much hope in the gospel and I am so grateful I have it in my life now. Don’t be like me and just push it to the side for your whole life, just let it into your life now. Anyways that is all I hope you know I love you all and I hope that you accept the hope that the gospel brings. Elder Campbell has apparently decided to participate in fitness these days, and so he looks way better than he did when he was with me (maybe it is because his new area has no bdubs) (that is the reason btw). And so when the Chinese branch saw that they were like “wahhhh Elder Campbell you look way better than you did before!” Then they would look at me and be like “wow you should follow what he is doing!” This was said to me multiple times and I guess they made it clear that I should start grinding, and I accept their challenge. Good for you Elder Campbell, but as far as I am aware the running shoes are still not getting heavy use, but again good for you, you win this one. Anyways that was a night full of emotions, but let me get on with this email and tell you about my week: I have absolutely loved the opportunity to train Elder Yee so far this transfer. Elder Yee has loved doing missionary work so far except when he has to back the car, he gets all sassy but other than that it is ok. Every single night we get back and he waltzes his way into our room, puts on his purple shirt that makes him look like grimace from Mcdonald’s and plays 3 card poker with himself until the night is over (he is from vegas). Every single night without fail he does this, it is so funny to watch. We also started calling him pu tao (葡萄) which means grape in chinese and he has really embraced his new name, so if you ever see him refer him as Elder pu tao. Elder Yee is pretty shy so I have been trying to get him more and more involved with talking and teaching because we won’t be together forever and I want him to be as confident as a missionary as he can be. So very often without warning I will just stop talking mid lesson or contact with someone and just start smiling and it is up to him to make it not awkward and to keep the Spirit alive and the conversation going. He does not like when I do this, but I have zero plans of stopping anytime soon. So we were having a lesson with our super dope friend Keyjun this week, and it was one of the most Spirit filled lessons I have ever had. I pointed out the Spirit and was like “Keyjun can you feel that” and he was like “oh my gosh yes, it is like a giant hug of energy” and I was like “Keyjun there are things that we can do to keep the Spirit in our lives. Something that I like to do is pray often to our Heavenly Father. No matter what you're going through he is always listening, and he will provide you with comfort and peace during our times of need.” And then I stopped and looked at Elder Yee signifying to him that it was his turn to talk. He was like “uh, so I assume that you like this feeling you are having Keyjun?” Keyjun was like “yes absolutely” and Elder Yee was like “well there are things that we can do to keep this feeling with us, like for example I like to pray and it helps me feel comfort and peace from our Heavenly Father during our times of need.” Quite often he will just plagiarize the things I say right after I say them, but then brings the Spirit way harder then I did haha. Gosh darn Elder Yee is so pure. I love seeing the growth in him it is so cool, he occasionally messes up but goodness me, he can bring the Spirit. I love being his companion. Let me take you back to 3 weeks ago when we were eating with this older couple in our ward. The dinner went pretty well and at the end the lady said she wanted me to pick what we were gonna eat next time. She gave me a menu and I got to pick an entree and 2 side dishes. She was like “pick whatever you want” and I was like “are you sure, some of this probably takes a lot of time” and she was like “no no please pick what you want” so I picked make your own pizza and mashed potatoes. We came back for dinner this week and we walk in and she is like “my gosh you have made me work my tail off the entire day. Oh my goodness homemade crust doesn’t just appear Elder Horsley” and I was like “ah I am so sorry” even though she literally encouraged me to pick this 21 days prior to this event. She spent the next 15 minutes being insanely passive aggressive about the amount of labor I had burdened her with, until her husband was like “come sit down with me.” He sat us down and went on for what felt like an eon about the leadership positions he held in his mission and about the amount of people he baptized. I genuinely don’t remember how it got brought up or why he felt it was necessary, but then dinner finally started. They started talking about past divorces because both of these people have been divorced multiple times, so I asked them my favorite question to ask divorced people which is “what is your biggest tip for marriage?” the guy answered and was like “income” and started talking heat about his ex wife. Then he targeted Elder Yee and was like “what did you do back home before you became a missionary?” and Elder Yee was like “I mowed lawns, and did landscaping, and worked at baskin robbins” and he countered his comment with “HA, well you probably made no money! That wouldn’t work! Bahahahahah!” and then slapped his knee and chuckled for a moment longer. But ya the meal was super good but I aged like 5 years from the commentary throughout the dinner. I love them though and it was super nice of them to give us dinner. I am genuinely loving this opportunity to be a missionary so much. I get the question all the time “how do I know if I should do it?” I answer this with the wise counsel from the African American Spider Man from the movie Spider Man into the Spider Verse “it’s just one big jump” and it truly is. If you're thinking about it just do it, and take that jump because it is so worth it. It is scary at first when you're falling, but soon you realize you are flying. I love you all so much and miss you, I’d love to hear from you. Have a great week! Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qwGY1QhS99ne5wGy8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 103 - I'm On Steroids

WEEK 5 - the puzzle fiend

WEEK 72 - Various Italian Dishes