WEEK 37 - The Professor

One of the most influential films of all time, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, can actually teach us some very neat gospel principles. Tim Lockwood is the Dad of the ambitious young Flint Lockwood and they want two different things for Flint. Flint wants to make a machine that turns water into food (the FLDSMDFR), and Tim wants him to be the next owner of THE "Tim & Sons Bait and Tackle." There is a point in the movie where Flint feels like he has lost it all so he "throws himself away" and gives up on science and saving the world and quite literally he throws himself away. His father Tim waltzes his way over to his sons trashcan and is like "Son, when it rains, you put on a coat" and Flint is like "Dad you know I don't understand your fishing metaphors" and then Flint looks up and sees what his Dad is talking about. His Dad is holding up his science coat that Flint purposefully left behind. This scene is quite emotional and will leave you questioning you and your own father's relationship, but I actually think that there is something super cool that we can learn from this scene. Throughout the movie there is never a question of IF Tim loves Flint or not, it is clear the entire time that Tim is trying to help his son the best way he can but Flint just doesn't really accept it because he truly thinks he knows better. I can sadly say that I have seen this in my own life with both my Dad and my Heavenly Father. The whole time both of them wanted what was best for me. My whole life I was certain that I knew exactly what I needed and that no one could pave a better path for me than myself. False. I was so wrong and genuinely regret that so much. But just like Tim immediately forgave his son and continued loving him, I know my Dad will too. I also know that our Heavenly Father will do that for all of us too. No matter how many times you have given up, and thrown yourself away, He will not leave you comfortless. I love telling people that every single day, and seeing what happens when they actually get out of the trash and join their Father in Heaven. So if you're reading this and your like "dang I am stuck in this trash and I feel like rain is just pouring down on me and I am alone" then let me give you the most helpful advice I can "when it rains, you put on a coat" That coat is Jesus Christ, He will keep you warm, He will protect you, He will make sure you don't get wet, He will never let you be alone, so just put Him on. Thank you Tim Lockwood for the wonderful message you have helped me learn. Sorry for the Old Testament sized spiritual thought today, let me tell you an Elder Yee fact to grab your attention: Elder Yee is relentlessly trying to recruit me to the gosh darn marines. Elder Yee is a military man and whenever I do anything ever he is like "Elder Horsley you really would be a great marine!" Moral of the story is don't do anything physically or mentally impressive in front of him or you're gonna get recruited. Anyways here is my week: - I had the amazing opportunity to baptize our friend Marco this week. Marco is from Peru and he has been taught by so many missionaries so it was super dope to be able to be the ones to baptize him! Marco is an interesting fella and I would try to explain him but I'll just tell you about his baptism because it will give you a good idea. So pretty much we are getting the baptism all ready and he pulls up absolutely PIMPED out. Brother man was looking goooood, my gosh. He was super excited to be baptized and I went over everything with him and it only added to his excitement. So it finally gets to the wondrous moment of his actual baptism. We do it and it all went super smoothly and then we walk into the bathroom and I was like "Marco how do you feel?" and he was like "good! Elder Horsley you should be a professor." That comment really brought me back to how my Grandpa Bill would always call my brother "the professor." My whole life "the professor" was Mckay so this comment took me by surprise. Also I literally could have never imagined that these would be Marco's first baptized words. Then we got in the bathroom and there were 2 stalls for us to change in, but this one dude was already using one of the stalls so I was like "Marco you can go first" Marco declined my invitation and started chatting up a storm as he undressed right then and there. I finally corralled him into the dang stall and I think he was so excited about his baptism that he forgot all social cues because he threw his wet baptismal suit right over the side of the stall next to him and it was just dripping onto this man. It was humbling to see poor Elder Matthews walk out of that stall with fear in his eyes and a little bit wet and I mouthed to him "I am so sorry" but it was all ok. Then the dialogue took a step up and Marco was unhinged. I somehow brought it back to baptism and he was like how many people have you baptized? And I was like "well I don't really count because I don't really like to think of them as numbers" and he was like "ok ok I understand. So like 10?" anyways after like 3 minutes of prying he got it out. It was such a good day and I am so happy for Marco he is such a good guy, and he couldn't have chosen to do a better thing that Thursday night! - Later in the week we had a wonderful member meal. This family has 3 kids and one of the specifically is an absolute menace. He is 11 years old and had to be taken out of school for like behavioral reasons or something. Anyways we get there and they are like "take a seat Elders" and I do, and their couch was so comfy and it was such a nice opportunity to relax for like 1 minute, and my man comes in and throws an actual sound board at me, so me and him made beats for the next little while. While I was doing that Elder Yee was playing with a cat (he is allergic to cats, I have not a clue why he chose to do this) and for the rest of the night he was slowly deteriorating from this cat. I have really been trying to connect with the kids of this ward here in Tyler, and I have succeeded. That is awesome but it has started this new trend where when I go to members meals I usually have like 2-3 kids physically assaulting me, and the rest of the family all talking to me at the same time. This was the case at this meal and it takes a mental toll using that much brain power. Since Elder Yee just gets to sit back and eat during meals I give him the opportunity to share the messages (I also do it so he can practice teaching) and Elder Yee starts his message and he is like "so what does faith mean to you guys?" And the Mom goes rogue and starts talking about everything but what faith means to her for probably 15 minutes. This was a great learning experience for Elder Yee so I let him handle this beast of a spiritual thought. Anyways it went on so long with Elder Yee doing nothing so me and the Dad just started talking about the movie Ready Player One. The spiritual thought ended and we said our goodbyes. It was a fun dinner. Guys being a missionary is so cool, anyone who tells you differently sucked at being a missionary or their level of faith is pathetic. Don't listen to them, if you're thinking about this do it, trust me it is genuinely so rewarding. I love you all so much never forget that. I'd love to hear from you! Have a great week! Pictures: 1. Baptism hooray 2. Ready to proselyte 3. I need this 4. Elder Waters ready for a good day of work 5. There is no 5th picture bwahaha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 103 - I'm On Steroids

WEEK 5 - the puzzle fiend

WEEK 72 - Various Italian Dishes