WEEK 45 - "You've Gotten Fatter"
Howdy everyone I hope y'all know how much I love you and miss you! This week was so bittersweet because I got transferred from a place that I love so dearly (Tyler) to a place that I love so dearly (Plano Chinese branch). The branch is just as unhinged as I remember and I love them so much!
Ok so we had a super cool miracle this week with our friend Danny. Danny was one of the first people that I met on my mission and me and him quickly became really good friends. Danny had been taught by missionaries in Maryland before but he never got baptized. At first I was like "wait let's just baptize this guy" little did I know that isn't how missionary work works. At the beginning of my mission we were teaching Danny every week, and every time I felt like the lessons were just going incredible. I would invite him to church every single week, but he refused to come. I noticed that every time I would talk to him his faith had declined more and more. I started to get so discouraged because I was praying my absolute heart out and doing every possible thing I knew how to do for this guy. After my first 6 months in the chinese area me and Danny were super good friends but he just wasn't progressing whatsoever. When I went to Tyler I stayed in touch with Danny and he pretty much had gotten to the point where he didn't even believe that there was a God. I came back to this area on Thursday, and on Friday we had an English class and during that we had just the funniest conversation and it was so good to catch up with him. I love Danny but it felt like I had done everything I possibly could've done to help him and deep inside I kinda just gave up hoping that he would come to church. I was at church this Sunday and the craziest thing happened. I saw Danny there in a suit and tie. When I saw him standing there looking pimped out as ever I may or may not have shed a tear or two. After 10 months of trying to help him and inviting him and constantly praying for him I saw a miracle. I know now that there are no lost causes out there. Miracles happen and God answers our prayers and Danny is living proof of that.
This week was so great full of bounteous amounts of possible email content. For example, Elder Yee got bit by a penguin and it was comical. But y'all will never know the story behind that because I have too many things I want to tell y'all about. Fr though these emails are about to level up, because goodness me, so many funny things happen over here in the Chinese branch. Let me tell you about a fraction of what happened this week:
- I got to church yesterday and not a soul was more excited to see me than Peter Chen (if you haven't heard of him yet I am so sorry). He beckoned me to come sit by him and I happily did so. During the lesson someone completely changed the subject and started talking about stocks so I leaned over to Peter and I wanted to make him proud so I was like "I love stocks Peter, I bought NVIDIA at $400" My gosh Peter just about jumped for joy, he ignored that we were in a lesson and went to normal volume and was like "Elder Horsley! The OWNER is TAIWANESE! 16 billion! One stock up $1000 dollar!" Oh he was so hyped and I was more than happy to be able to put a smile on Peter's face. Our friend Yan and her daughter Joanna came to church and it was so good to see them again. Yan cried when she saw me and said it was a miracle. Yan looked at me some more and in chinese she was like "wow you have gotten taller! At least 10 centimeters! Wait nevermind, you are fatter." I was like "ah I see, thank you Yan" After that I walked my way into the chapel and people kept stopping me and they were like "we are so happy to have you back!" Then each and everyone of them made a comment on my physical appearance. The majority said that I was taller and more handsome, but a concerning portion of them pointed out that I am now fatter.
Sacrament meeting was lit especially since I got to sit by Danny. Sacrament was a bit abnormal because there were no slightly racist jabs and everything was pretty gospel oriented so that threw me off a little. After sacrament meeting I went to go talk with our friends Yan and Joanna and they said that to celebrate me returning they were gonna take me to this really nice hotpot place. A member named Reigi Wang came over and Yan being the incredibly nice lady she is asked Reigi if she would join us for hotpot. Reigi happily accepted and said that she would love it if Yan let her pay for the meal. Then Yan was like "no I'll pay, it's my treat" and then Reigi was like "please Yan I'd love to" I decided this was a great time for me to intervene and make a joke, I was like "I'd love to pay!" (it's funny because missionaries have no money) and Reigi was like "oh that would actually be good, he is rich!" I was like "what no I'm not I'm a missionary" and she was like "He has NVIDIA stock" I was like "what how did you hear that Reigi? Did Peter tell you?" and she was like "no someone else did" So apparently in 60 minutes Peter had alerted all members that I own stock in NVIDIA. Heavens it is good to be back. This just doesn't happen anywhere else, I love these people!
- Alright back to Danny because I love him. Around 6 months ago Danny had some questions about dating in America, and I wanted to see my man succeed with some righteous ladies so I got him to download Mutual (lds dating app). When I got to English Class on Friday Danny had some great news for me. While I was gone Danny obtained a Colombian girlfriend who was a returned missionary, and like I know I am a missionary and I shouldn't have an opinion on this. But Judas, Danny pulled. I am so proud of my man. He seemed pretty hyped about it all and I think she is a super good influence on him and they seem to be having a great time. He then told me about how he has been watching Breaking Bad (idk why this show keeps coming up on my mission) and we had just had the most hilarious chat about the show that I sadly don't think I can include in this email haha. For all of you preparing missionaries who need some advice: get familiar with the app Mutual and watch Breaking Bad. They have both been assets on my mission. After talking to Danny I got to talk to Billy who was almost baptized about 6 months ago and we got back in contact with him this week, and he is wanting to move forward with baptism again which is so hype. When I first saw him he hit me with the classic "Elder Horsley! Good to see you! You have gotten fatter!" luckily he changed his mind later and said "nevermind you are stronger and more handsome" It's been a neat experience being objectified over and over and honestly I don't really mind that much. The people have filled me with motivation to go get jacked.
For all of you reading this I genuinely hope that you realize how much I love you. That's why I write these emails, I just care about all of you so much. I'm your biggest fan and I am excited to see all of you again one day! I'd love to hear from you! Have a wonderful week!
Join Google Photos to see the most hype video of a noodle chef: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qwGY1QhS99ne5wGy8
Pictures:














Comments
Post a Comment